What is SAFE?
The SAFE stack is an open-source, free, flexible end-to-end, functional-first stack for cloud-ready web applications that emphasizes type-safe programming.
The SAFE stack allows you to develop web applications almost entirely in F#, without needing to compromise and shoehorn your codebase into an object-oriented framework or library, and without needing you to be an expert in CSS or HTML to create compelling, rich client-side web applications.
The SAFE stack is made up of four components:
- A web server running on .NET Core for hosting back-end services in F#
- A hosting platform that provides simple, scalable deployment models plus associated platform services for application developers
- A mechanism to run F# in the web browser for client-side delivery of F#
- An F# programming model for client-side user interfaces
SAFE provides developers with a simple and consistent programming model for developing rich, scalable web-enabled applications that can run on multiple platforms. SAFE takes advantage of F#'s mix of a functional-first experience backed by the powerful and mature .NET framework to provide a type-safe, reliable experience that leads to the "pit of success".
- Create client / server applications entirely in F#
- Re-use development skills on client and server
- Runs on the latest .NET Core (and tested daily by Microsoft)
- Rapid development cycle with support for hot module replacement
- Create client-side applications purely in F#, with full type checking for safety
- Seamlessly share code between client and server